Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Wet N Wild: An Oldie But A Goodie

Let's go back circa 1995. I was in junior high. TLC's "Waterfalls" was all over the radio. That awkward time in my youth when transitioning from a tween to a teenager. Boys are now a major factor and hair & make up now require some effort. When your 13 going on 14 it's vital that your individual style be as close to everyone else as much as possible. Make up usually consisted of thick black eyeliner, mascara, and good old Wet n Wild lipstick #408 outlined with dark brown eyeliner. This was the look. It didn't matter if you were White, Black, Hispanic, pale, tan, whatever- all the girls wore Wet n Wild #408. It was dark and cool and only 99 cents! Available at any local drugstore. As I got older and got a part time job I left my Wet n Wild days behind me and graduated to Revlon, Covergirl, and eventually on to a variety of products from the cosmetic counters in the mall. It wasn't until recently that I rekindled my love affair with Wet n Wild lipsticks. Take a look at the picture posted of me happily adorned in my 49er gear with my friend DaShauna. It's Super Bowl Sunday in San Francisco. I had the best time, wearing my favorite lipstick Mac Russian Red. It's the perfect shade of red. Beautiful on every skin tone. Goes on smooth, is vibrant, and has staying power. I love it! And I lost it. It was either on the street waiting in line to get into Pete's Tavern to watch the game or some where at the bar in between ordering pitchers of Stella during the game. I had intended on immediately heading to Mac the next day to replace it until I came across a pin on Pinterest. Wet n Wild's Stop Light Red was a dupe for Mac's Russian Red. Say What?! On to the drugstore. I went to CVS which is a great place to get drugstore cosmetics. They always have lots of sales and clearance mark downs. This particular day Wet n Wild products were buy one get one 50% off, score!! I purchased 5 lipsticks and one lip gloss. The Stop Light Red is an absolute winner! The color is impressively close to the Mac, wears well, and cost me $1.99 where as the Mac runs about $15. A definite keeper! I found a new favorite, Bare It All. A gorgeous nude color that is very popular among many of the make up artists I follow on Instagram. I've found that the matte lipsticks are the closest to the Mac colors. The colors are rich and wear very well. A must try! The sheer colors are also a good alternative, not as pigmented as the matte colors but still a great buy for 99 cents with a variety of colors. The gloss I purchased was from the Megalast line. A long lasting creamy lip gloss. This I did not care for at all. It went on smooth but becomes very tacky in texture and instantly becomes very dry. I attempted to counteract the dryness by adding a second gloss on top which only made the gloss become crumbly and clumpy. As soon as I pressed my lips together or licked them they became a thick mess. Negative on the Megalast gloss. So, today's lesson: Don't be fooled by the price. Quality products can be found in low price packages. Don't limit yourself to only going with the big popular name brands. It is possible to achieve a high end look at a fraction of the price. You can have your cake and afford to eat it too.
1)Bare It All  2)Stop Light Red  3)Nouveau Pink  4)Cashmere 5)Smokin Hot Pink

No comments:

Post a Comment