Monday, March 25, 2013

Ben Nye Banana Powder: Is it worth all the hype?

We have all seen YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest flooded with rave reviews of the Ben Nye Banana powder. Anything that Kim Kardashian or her make up artist endorses is going to get the attention of females near and far, myself included. I had to get my hands on this must-have powder. Its most commonly used as a highlighter and setting powder for concealer. It's soft finish and warm yellow tone is supposed to give your complexion a soft bright finish without caking up or looking ashy. All very important things! From what I've seen it's best used when highlighting and contouring the forehead, bridge of the nose, cupids bow, chin, and heavily under the eyes. So I set out to make my purchase. A lot of people were reporting the banana powder, because of the high demand, was difficult to find. I don't know if my timing was right or if I missed the banana powder craze but I had no problem locating some for a very reasonable price. Ben Nye products can easily be found on a number of costume make up websites. I purchased a 3oz banana powder for $13.99 as well as a 2 oz Ben Nye Final Seal Matte Sealer for $7.50 from @CameraReadyCosmetics.com. I was very intimidated when first applying the powder. To start, I'm still pretty new at highlighting and contouring. Figuring out the best way to apply and blend still takes me some practice. The first phase always looks very scary to me! The contrast of the super light concealer and the dark contouring streaks makes me very afraid I'm going to end up looking like a character from the broadway version of The Lion King. But I always follow my social media tutorials like I'm supposed to and somehow I come out looking decent. So if your new to the contouring game, trust the tutorials. They know what they're doing. Back to the powder! So I've always used a powder that pretty much matched the foundation I use. The banana powder is no where near my skin tone but many tutorials by other women of color have shown a successful application of the powder so I again I learned to trust the tutorial and copied what I saw. I will say, the powder is growing on me! I usually don't like putting powder under my eyes because I have very heavy bags and fine lines. Most pwders cake up and settle and end up up exaggerating my flaws especially in a lighter shade, but I find the powder does soften the lines and mask the circles. Its not a magic powder so my lines are still visible but significantly less. In pictures however, my under eyes look flawless! A major plus! It goes on light, easy to blend, but is very messy! I am not a loose powder kind of girl so I get powder every where! Ultimately, I like the powder. The price is great. The finish is awesome. My other purchase the Final Seal finishing spray I am in love with! Love! Love! Love! I usually finish my looks with Urban Decay All Nighter until I read about Final Seal Matte Sealer. It's used onstage to seal in performers make up and keeps Disney Princess' make up on all day. Guarenteeing to stay on through sweat, water, and tears. It feels very fresh, not sticky or stiff. It has a refreshing minty fragrance and light tingle when you spray it on. My make up looks just as fresh 10 hrs later as it did when I first applied it. Awesome product, I can't stop raving about it! A must buy!

No comments:

Post a Comment